Monday 18 July 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon Meringue Pie is my least favourite type of pie.  I will almost always turn down desert when offered this type of pie unless, of course, I need a sugar fix!  There's just something about this pie that doesn't excite me.  I like lemon, I like whipped topping and I like shortbread pie crust... but the combination of the 3 just doesn't cut it. 

Anyways, I was asked to make lemon meringue pies for a fish fry potluck and I had a double box of Dr. Oetker Shirriff Lemon Pie Filling Mix in the pantry; so I gave it a try:


Step 1:  Separate 4 eggs - yolks in a saucepan and whites in a bowl or cup for now.


Step 2:  Mix the 4 yolks with 2/3 cup of water in the saucepan.  Add 2 pouches of lemon filling mix and stir.  Add 4 cups of boiling water, stirring constantly.  Bring to a boil and remove from heat once it thickens.  Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter.  


Step 3:  Allow the lemon mixture to cool and pour evenly into 2 pre-baked pie shells.


Step 4:  To make the meringue, beat the 4 egg whites with and electric mixer until soft and fluffy.  Add 1/2 cup of sugar and continue beating with mixer until stiff peaks form.


Step 5:  Cover the lemon filling with meringue topping and bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes.  The meringue will be golden brown when it's ready.  


I didn't even try this pie, so I couldn't tell how it tasted.  Others who tried the pie said it was good, but I didn't get any raving compliments.  This pie lacks bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment