Friday 9 March 2012

Homemade Toothpaste

The switch from store bought to homemade toothpaste has been very difficult for me.  I really like the consistency, lather and taste of the store bought stuff, but it's full of bad stuff that I wouldn't touch with my hands, let alone put in my mouth!  I knew that brushing with plain baking soda would never go well for me even though it works great for so many others who don't mind a tooth powder.  I really wanted my toothpaste to be a true "paste"consistency.  After a few recipe tries, I think I have finally found something that I actually like:

Homemade Toothpaste
-3 tablespoons of baking soda
-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
-1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
-1/2 packet of Xylitol
-1/4 teaspoon (just a drop) of sweet almond oil (optional)


This recipe makes the equivalent of about 1 tube of toothpaste.

I started by mashing the baking soda and coconut oil in a shallow bowl with a fork.  Do not heat the mixture as it will compromise the texture.  Just be patient and use the fork until the coconut oil has completely blended with the baking soda.


Then, I mix in my peppermint extract and Xylitol packet.  You could also use peppermint essential oil, but I find the taste too strong.  You can find Xylitol at any health food store in the sweetener section.  It is a naturally occurring sweetener and it does not cause cavities the way sugar does because it is non-fermentable.  If you don't have or can't find Xylitol, you can substitute Stevia which is also a naturally derived sugar alternative, however, it does not have the same antimicrobial properties as Xylitol.  Xylitol has some plaque prevention effects on teeth since it starves the cavity causing bacteria and allows the tooth enamel to reminerilize naturally.


To get the right consistency, I added just a drop of sweet almond oil, but I think you can add any carrier oil that doesn't have a strong taste to it.  If you are happy with the consistency, you can skip the sweet almond oil.


At first, brushing with your homemade toothpaste will feel and taste weird, but it really grows on you - especially after your teeth start to look really really white!  I store my toothpaste in an airtight container and keep it on my bathroom counter; there's no need to refrigerate it.


Pepperminty fresh!

5 comments:

  1. I have tried this toothpaste and honestly it works incredibly well. It gets my teeth whiter than any brand name whitener toothpaste and leaves my teeth feeling clean and plaque free. No harsh chemicals or ingredients either. Easy to become accustomed to. Super cheep and more effective than regular toothpaste. I would recommend this to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re so creative to come up with homemade peppermint toothpaste! When did you start making these? Parents out there can encourage their kids to brush regularly if they will just try to do this together with their kids. It’s also a good opportunity for bonding and having fun.

    Kathy Frederickson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy - I started using this toothpaste last summer and my teeth are super white and no cavities! I think it is a great idea to make with kids and it will motivate them to brush everyday!

      Delete
  3. People who do not like the taste of regular toothpaste may want to try the homemade toothpaste recipe you’ve made! It definitely helps that it’s cheap and easy to do. I wonder if adding flavors can work. What do you think, Bri?



    @ Lonnie Frandsen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie, I think adding different flavours could work! My most recent batch is made with peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils and it tastes great. Don't forget the coconut oil adds a really nice flavour too!

      I find that store bought toothpaste is too strong for me, so I prefer the simpler more subtle flavours in my homemade stuff. Also, if I make a bad batch, I don't feel bad to throw it away and start again since it's so cheap once you have all the ingredients.

      Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete