Wednesday 28 December 2011

Cauliflower Fritters or Frittelli Di Cavolfiore

So, I've been meaning to blog since August and obviously haven't made the time to do so.  In the meantime I have been taking foodie pictures and writing down all my recipes so that I can share them on my blog.

Here is a snack or appetiser that my Nonna makes all the time.  Some people call them frittelli, but for some reason, my family calls them pitwelli.  I don't know where this came from, but we use the word pitwelli to refer to any sort of fritter.  We make pitwelli out of spinach, broccoli, and most often - cauliflower!  Just substitute the cauliflower to make your own variety.

Boil 1/2 a cauliflower, strain and let cool.  Mash it and add a pinch of salt.



Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk and grate approximately 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese into the bowl.  Stir. 


Add about 1 and 1/2 cups of flour or enough that it has an oatmeal-like consistency.  At this point you can add some optional ingredients such as a bit of fresh chopped parsley or chives.

Pour a little vegetable oil into a pan and heat it on medium heat.  Add the mixture by tablespoon full into the pan and fry them a couple minutes on both sides until golden brown.



Let your pitwelli cool off a bit and eat them as soon as possible!  Pitwelli should be eaten warm as a pre-meal snack, since they are too good to resist and they never make it to the table anyways.  Yum...!


No comments:

Post a Comment